High Standards + Logic + Objective Results + Why vs. Hopes + Feelings + Intentions + How

By Ron Wolforth – 

 

In my 25+ years in this business of training and development, what I’ve come to understand is that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US has hopes and dreams. Every one of us would prefer to feel happy, fulfilled, and content. A vast majority of us have virtuous and honorable intentions, aspirations, and goals.

 

Why then, do 20% of us outdo the other 80% combined?

 

Why do 5% of us outdo the other 95% combined?

 

Luck?

 

Fortuitous timing?

 

Better resources?

 

Superior support?

 

Greater skill/talent?

 

Nope, not in my opinion.

 

The short answer, in my view, is that the high achievers in this world (the top 5% of any specific genre or arena) share a very specific set of attitudes and behaviors.

 

This is why we constantly seek out the top 5% of doctors and lawyers to guide us when our lives or someone we love are on the line.

 

#1. Successful people in any arena of endeavor don’t “hope” to succeed… they expect to succeed. In fact, they demand it. They don’t accept temporary failure as the final or regular state of affairs. Substandard performance is simply unacceptable to them. Surrendering is repugnant. 

 

Achievers have exceedingly high standards of themselves and of those around them, and they enforce those standards… and when those standards are not met or exceeded, there is an immediate emotional price to be paid.  There is some degree of anxiety and discomfort in not meeting or exceeding that standard. Achievers learn to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. You’ll hear them often say things along the lines of, “Anything worth doing well, is worth doing poorly at first”.

 

#2. Successful people depend upon logic, reason, and coherence when encountering challenges and obstacles. They intentionally stay away from emotion, sentimentality, feelings, and sensitivity.

 

The common person is easily offended, disheartened, frustrated, and/or discouraged. Successful people are far too busy adapting, adjusting, evolving, and growing to be offended or demoralized.  

 

#3. Successful people concern themselves with their results, not their intentions.  They focus on the specific elements of their performance that they can control and measure objectively.

 

On the other hand, the mediocre frequently get caught up in what they “intended” to do and how they felt harmed, insufficient, embarrassed, or demeaned by not reaching a particular level of success.

 

#4. Successful people are driven by their “why”. In other words, the top performers are routinely moved by the purpose and driving force behind their work and efforts.  They constantly reconnect with their “why”.

 

On the other hand, the mediocre are constantly in search of this month’s or week’s new “how”. Success to them is a matter of finding just the perfect recipe or process. From their perspective, underachievement or failure is rarely a flaw or shortcoming of their work or philosophy, but instead a flaw in their circumstances, environment, resources, or process.

 

Bottom Line: The top 5% are different from the average or mediocre performer in many ways. One of those ways is that they are led and directed by these four characteristics:

 

High Standards + Logic + Objective Results + Why

 

The average performer, the great unwashed masses, operate by an entirely different ethos.

 

Hopes + Feelings + Intentions + How

 

First, they hope. Then when they come up short, they hurt, they are embarrassed, they are offended, and/or they are discouraged. They think because their intentions were clear and virtuous that their efforts should somehow guarantee a certain level of success. If not, then the world simply is not fair. And finally, when they fail, their reaction is to keep searching for the latest silver bullet or magic success recipe.

  

 

Keep these two formulas on your mirror or write them in your diary or inside of your hat, and when you find yourself drifting toward any of the variables of the model of underachievement… remind yourself of the behaviors of the highly effective and super productive.

 

This regular exercise will prove highly profitable toward the achievement of your goals.

 

 – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

 

Important TBR Updates

 

  • Our Winter Elite Pitcher’s Boot Camp dates are filling up fast. Those dates include December 28-30 and January 16-18. For more information or to register go to www.TexasBaseballRanch.com/events.

 

  • Just Announced! Our “Advanced Alumni Camp” (for PREVIOUS Ranch event attendees ONLY) will be held January 2nd and 3rd.  Brent Strom, Pitching Coach for the Houston Astros, will be a guest instructor and we will be having a special “Evening with Coach Strom” Saturday night.  For additional information or to register, please click here. $500 Savings if you register by December 1st.

 

  • Athletes continue to be excited our “Ranch Remote” training. It’s a program for people that would still like to get access to, and ongoing instruction from, the TBR staff but prefer to avoid travel due to the virus or other limitations. Click here to get more information on this NEW, hyper-personalized training option. Space is limited in this program and we only have a few spots open currently so if you’re interested, don’t delay.

 

Please call (936) 588-6762 or email us: info@texasbaseballranch.com
for more details or to sign up for any of these options.  

Previous post:

Next post:

Google